RESEARCH SUPPORT FOR YOUR WRITING

NOW FOLLOW ON TWITTER @TIMELINEWONK
This central "blog" will give Memoir , Biography and Writing suggestions or information to prompt further research.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

RESEARCH TOOL - The Personal "U" Chart

     Memoir Writing is about engaging the "memory stream".
     There are many biographical tools which are helpful for recalling when things happened in our lives. One of the first I met was the "U" Chart.  Below is the first personal "U" Chart I made.  



     The "U" on this chart - at the very bottom - has age 21 . That year in my life was 1949 + 21 = 1970.  

     Up the left-hand side I have marked the years going back to 1949, the year I was born.

     Up the right hand side, I have marked the years going into the future from 1970 to 1991. I see from looking at this now, I must have been age 37 or 38 when I created it because notations stop at a particular date.

     The data written to the right side are dates of specific categories of events and the "date" was simply the year.  

     One of the helpful things about such a chart is to keep a "distant" view.  Do not get lost in the detail!  For example, the "Places lived category" simply reads: Texas, Colorado, etc.  Not the cities! Not the addresses. "Helicopter Point Of View (POV)."
Categories:
- Relationships (such as births of children, weddings, etc.)
- Work (including schooling which is "work")
- Illnesses (change)
- Places lived
- People who were important in my life
- Trips
- Relationships
- Deaths

     Such "U-Charts" can be created for others in your Memoir: father, mother, grandparents, siblings or others so you can gather basic biographical information and place it in a time context.

No comments:

Post a Comment